Category Archives: news
We emailed this message out tonight via EventBrite to everyone registered for EdCampOKC 2015. (460 at this point!)
A Message from EdCampOKC 2015 Organizers:
Here’s an update on where we are with a weather decision for EdCampOKC on Saturday, February 28th. We know many of you are traveling from out of town and we want to make the best decision to help everyone stay safe.
We will make a go / no go decision for EdCampOKC by noon on Friday, February 27th. We will email out that decision via EventBrite, and post it to Twitter (@edCampOKC) as well as our website, www.edcampOKC.org. We should have a clearer picture of the weather forecast at that time. If we are unable to hold EdCampOKC 2015 on Saturday, February 28th, we will postpone to Saturday, March 7th. Southmoore HIgh School is available for us to use their facility on March 7th if needed.
That said, we will definitely postpone if OSSAA cancels all athletic events in Oklahoma City for February 28th.
Thanks for your understanding! EdCampOKC is coming…we hope on Feb 28th, but if not it will be March 7th. We’ll be in touch tomorrow!
Here’s the email we sent out to everyone registered for our February 28th conference today!
A Message from EdCampOKC 2015 Organizers:
We’re looking forward to seeing you this Saturday, February 28th, at 8 am for EdCampOKC at Southmore High School in Moore, Oklahoma. Here are a few reminders to help make your EdCamp experience GREAT!
- Weather? We’re a GO! We are planning to hold EdCampOKC on Saturday Feb 28th but are watching the weather closely. If something changes drastically we will notify you via EventBrite email, as well as Twitter (@edcampOKC) and our website EdCampOKC.org.
- Bring your printed EventBrite ticket: Doorprizes will be based on EventBrite ticket checkins, so PLEASE be sure to bring your printed ticket or your ticket on your smartphone. A volunteer will scan your ticket upon arrival.
- Charge your devices: Remember to bring your laptop and/or tablet computer to EdCampOKC. Fully charge your devices the night before!
- Schedule & Maps: Our schedule and maps of Southmore High School are updated and available on www.edcampokc.org/schedule/. Bookmark / favorite / save this web link, along with the Google Doc link to our “session grid” which will be updated the morning of February 28th as we build our schedule of sessions together.
- Breakfast & Lunch: Don’t worry about food in the morning or afternoon, our sponsors have donated over $3000 to provide both breakfast and lunch for all participants! Breakfast items will be from Panera and Chick-fila, Lunch will be from Panera. We will also give away most of our PRIZES at the end of lunchtime, so you don’t want to miss it!
- Parking: Plan to park on the east or west side of Southmore High School. Approximately 150 spots are available on the east side, more on the west where students park. If possible please enter through the main east entrance. Very limited parking is available to the north. Because of a basketball tourament also happening Saturday, we recommend you do NOT go out for lunch (we’ll have free lunch provided) so you don’t lose your parking space.
- Post-EdCampOKC Meetup at Fassler Hall: Please plan to join us for our after-party at Fassler Hall, 421 NW 10th St, Oklahoma City, OK 73103. A Google Maps link is available. If you might come, please submit this short RSVP survey.
- App Info Coming: Our volunteers have been working on a special EdCampOKC mobile app this year, and it’s almost ready! Look for a separate email coming later this week with download information.
- No Vendor Sessions: Remember EdCamp is all about conversations and not about vendor advertising. if you are a vendor, we are glad to have you participate but do NOT want you to lead a session that is specific to your product/service.
- Please Thank Our Sponsors! Please take time to thank our sponsors via Twitter. They are listed on our sponsor page, and you’ll see their Twitter channel IDs on posters as well as digital signage during EdCampOKC.
- Cancel if Not Coming: If your plans change and you will NOT attend EdCampOKC, please log into EventBrite and cancel your ticket reservation. As of Tuesday night we have 450 registered and only 30 tickets remaining. We expect to sell out. If you cancel your ticket, someone on our waiting list will be able to get your ticket. (We hope you’ll come though and not cancel!)
- App Smackdown / Demo Slam: Our last event of the day will be an “App Smackdown / Demo Slam.” If you’d like to show an app or demo a digital tool, please submit this Google Form. We may not be able to accept all submissions but we’ll take as many as we can, and post the presenter list on our main schedule page. (No vendors please!)
Our official EdCampOKC 2015 t-shirts are now available for online ordering via MENT Apparel! The design this year was inspired by an Oklahoma City Public Schools student (Q. Parrish) attending Classen School of Advanced Studies. T-shirts must be ordered online in advance and will be available for pickup at EdCampOKC on Saturday, February 28th. Remember if you haven’t registered yet via EventBrite please do ASAP, we might actually max out this year’s event at 400 participants! As of 5 pm on Sunday February 8th we have 316 registered! We hope everyone attending EdCampOKC will share their learning on Twitter using the hashtag #edcampOKC, which is also featured on the shirt. This is the design for this year’s shirt:
Thanks to a generous sponsorship from Municipal Accounting Systems, the first 50 t-shirt orders this year are just $5 each! These are very high quality t-shirts, so take advantage of this bargain and order yours soon! After the first fifty orders are received, the t-shirt cost will go up to $15 each.
Also remember if you haven’t submitted our online “Meet the EdCampers” form yet, we’d love for you to. This is a great way to connect with other EdCampOKC attendees and let others know about your educational background as well as interests before EdCamp.
We’re going to have a “Maker Space Playground” at EdCampOKC 2015 on February 28th, and we’d love for you to participate! If you’re not familiar with the “Maker” movement, this 2.5 minute video provides a good overview:
Do you have a 3D printer, Sphero robotic balls, Little Bits, a green screen, a Drawdio, Lego stopmotion equipment, an AR Drone, a 3Doodler, or anything else you’d consider a “Maker” idea or “Maker” equipment? Bring it to EdCampOKC and share about it in our Maker Playground! Please fill out this short Google Form to let us know what you’re planning to bring and a little about yourself. Have questions? Please contact Anne Beck (@MrsBeck25).
Please mark your calendar and register today (for FREE) to attend EdCampOKC on Saturday, February 28, 2015, at Southmoore High School in Moore, Oklahoma. EdCampOKC 2015 is sponsored by Moore Public Schools. A 1 page PDF marketing flyer is available, please forward this to other educators you know and encourage them to attend with you! Registration is available via EventBrite.
We had a successful second PLAYDATE PD event today at John Marshall High School in Oklahoma City! Check out the saved links from our shared Google Doc, as well as the Storify archived tweets below. Photos are available in this Flickr set. Our next PLAYDATE will be Saturday, March 28, 2015, and will focus on coding. Both students and educators/parents are welcome to attend! (Get ready for Minecraft “show and tell” by students!) We are going to work on getting some sponsorships so we can meet in downtown OKC, possibly in the Boathouse District or at John Rex Elementary. Remember to plan to attend EdCampOKC on Saturday, February 28, 2015! FREE registration will be available soon via EventBrite when our location is confirmed. If you’re not familiar with PLAYDATE events, check out the “backstory” page on our PLAYDATE OKC Google Site.
Tomorrow is our 2nd PLAYDATE PD event in Oklahoma City and we’re looking forward to seeing you! We have 22 people registered as of 7:00pm Friday night. Here are a few last minute reminders.
1. Start Time & Schedule
We will start at 9 am in the morning (Sat Oct 4th) with a fun icebreaker activity. April and Wes will be there by 8:30, if you come early you can help staff our welcome table with nametags! Our schedule is available on:
We will be in rooms C100 – C105. We will have some light snacks available, but feel free to bring your own coffee if you want. Look for the PLAYDATE signs when you enter the building tomorrow, someone should be at the front desk to greet you and direct you to the C hall rooms.
2. Lunch Survey / Poll
We will wrap up by 1 pm and will adjourn to eat lunch together – we’ll decide that location via this electronic poll / Google Form! Please VOTE and help us decide where we eat tomorrow! After voting you can view the results so far.
3. Parking Map
Here’s a map showing where to park and enter John Marshall High School for PLAYDATE.
4. Charge Your Devices!
We’ll have power available, but the morning will be smoother if you bring charged devices. We will have iPads available for checkout, but you’re welcome to bring your own tablets and laptops. Bring your power supply / supplies too just in case. 🙂
5. WiFi Info
The wifi network name for PLAYDATE tomorrow is:
There will NOT be a required password! Many thanks to OKCPS IT for setting this up for us again!
We are going to try and take more photos this time during the morning which we can share online later to let others know about PLAYDATE. If you would prefer to NOT be included in photos, please let us know by putting an asterik (*) on your nametag Saturday.
7. Invite Extra Folks
We will have room for more people to attend and participate, so if you know someone else who is interested in coming please invite them! Have them register via EventBrite before or at the event if possible so we can have their email and stay in touch.
SEE YOU TOMORROW FOR PLAYDATE OKC #2!
Please plan to join in our 2nd FREE “PLAYDATE” professional development event in Oklahoma on Saturday, October 4th from 9 am to 2 pm at John Marshall High School in Oklahoma City. PLAYDATE is similar to EdCamp, but the focus is PLAYING with apps and websites you want to explore along with other educators. Free registration is available on EventBrite, and more details about PLAYDATE are available on playdate.edcampokc.org. A 1 page printable PDF flyer is available and linked to the image below: Please share this with other teachers, librarians, administrators, and educators you know!
Please join our PLAYDATE OKC Google+ Community! We will use that G+ space to share resources, links, and our learning during and after PLAYDATE OKC!
Also, if you are interested in helping us organize our first PLAYDATE OKC on Saturday, May 10th from 6 – 10 pm at John Marshall High School, please join our organizer team. We’ve had several initial meetings and are now expanding our group to include more people interested in helping.
Our next meeting is Wednesday, April 23rd via a Google Hangout from 7-8 pm. For future meetings we may move to Tuesday nights, but this week Wednesday will work best. Please RSVP to this event in our G+ community if you can or might be able to attend.
You are formally invited to register and attend PLAYDATE OKC, coming to John Marshall High School in Oklahoma City on Saturday, May 10th from 6 pm to 10 pm. No presenters. No agendas. Just playing. That’s right, a FREE night of tinkering with apps, playing with technology tools, and collaborating with other innovative educators in and near Oklahoma City! More information is available on playdate.edcampOKC.org, including registration via EventBrite. Please help us spread the word! A PDF marketing flyer is available you can print and share!
Find out if PLAYDATE is a good for your professional development by watching the 52 second video, “Is PLAYDATE Right For You?”